Research Associate/Research Scientist
Vaccinex is a clinical-stage biotechnology company engaged in the discovery and development of targeted biotherapeutics to treat serious diseases with unmet medical needs, including neurodegenerative diseases, cancer and autoimmune disorders. We believe we are the leader in the field of semaphorin 4D (SEMA4D) biology, and that we are the only company evaluating SEMA4D blockade as a potential treatment for neurodegenerative diseases, cancer or autoimmune disorders. Vaccinex has also developed a proprietary antibody discovery platform, ActivMab®, that enables efficient mammalian cell based expression of a library of human antibodies using viral vectors. In addition, this fusion protein technology enables the direct incorporation of conformation-dependent multipass membrane proteins, such as GPCRs and ion channels, into the viral membrane.
The Vaccinex research team is seeking an experienced research scientist to participate in high-throughput antibody discovery studies to discover and characterize potential therapeutic antibodies and biologics. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced, highly integrated team of scientists to select and characterize antibodies, optimize the viral expression technology, and develop functional assays to evaluate leads. Assays may include molecular biology and library construction, library panning using virus and phage display, ELISA, flow cytometry, protein expression and purification, cell based in vitro functional assays, and immunohistochemistry. Excellent communication, adaptability, and teamwork will be critical. Candidates who aspire to contribute to innovative and scientifically driven translational research in a collaborative team environment, who are independent and motivated to identify and investigate novel targets, face challenges with a positive attitude, and dedicated to high quality research to support clinical progress, are encouraged to apply. Candidates will enjoy a collaborative environment that fosters scientific innovation, self-motivated successes, and values employee wellness and quality of work/life balance.
Specific Skills/Experience Required for Posted Position
- Knowledgeable of antibody discovery, engineering, production and purification processes; relevant experience preferred.
- Experience with phage display is a plus.
- Assay development, assay maintenance and troubleshooting for a variety of cell and immune-based assays.
- Assays include, but not limited to
- cloning and library construction,
- virus amplification and purification, library panning
- protein production in mammalian and bacterial expression systems
- protein purification techniques involving HPLC chromatography and other protein chemistry assays,
- affinity determination,
- flow cytometry and sorting,
- mammalian cell culture and cell-based assays,
- Analyze, interpret, and effectively communicate experimental results at lab meetings.
- Communicate and present work via email, personal communication, and oral presentation.
- Requires proficiency with computers and use of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel; may also require use of other computerized data acquisition and analysis software such as FloJo, Graphpad, etc.
- Benchwork may require use of hazardous chemicals and biologics, use of highly technical and automated equipment. Equipment and instrumentation may include incubators, fume hoods, ELISA plate washers, flow cytometer, microscope, HPLC, etc. May require work in a biosafety cabinet (including BSL2, human tissues and/or blood, vaccinia virus, etc), use of radioactive materials, recombinant DNA technology, and/or work with laboratory animals.
- The scope of work may require several consecutive hours of standing, moving, or sitting. Light lifting may be required. Personal protective equipment is required, including safety glasses, gloves, labcoats, etc.
- Some travel may be required.
- B.S. or MS in a related discipline with at least two years of significant and outstanding technical research experience.
- Experience in the biopharmaceutical industry is a plus.
- Primarily self-directed and to be highly motivated to drive the above activities. In addition, a very high level of overall productivity is expected. Demonstrated ability to follow direction and established scientific protocols.
- Capable of making detailed observations, analyzing data, and interpreting results.
- Expected to prepare technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills, and good organizational skills.
- Independent, able to multi-task and results-oriented with a hands-on attitude in a fast-paced and energetic small company environment with limited daily supervision.
Please Note: Due to the high volume of responses, only inquiries from qualified candidates can be addressed.
No telephone inquiries or recruiters, please.
Vaccinex, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.